August 5, 2014

My First Tattoo Experience // Tattoo FAQ

It's been nearly three weeks since I got a little cube tattooed on the inside of my elbow and I could not be more delighted with it! Everytime I catch a glimpse of it I smile. I'm so happy with it and how it's been healing! I thought I'd answer a few questions and talk about the experience a little bit. I know I love reading up about other people's tattoos, and I think it will be cool for myself too, to be able to read back on this and remember how I was feeling after my first tattoo!

Did it hurt?
This is the first question I used to always ask people if I saw they had tattoos, so I thought I'd get it out of the way. Yes it did hurt, but not much, and not for long. I know everyone says it feels like a cat scratch, but I've never been scratched by a cat so the only thing I can compare it to is being scratched by a branch. But over and over again. Like as if you're walking through a forest and the trees are so close together so you can't help but keep getting scratched by them. That's as specific as I can get, folks. It's more irritating than sore, and not unbearable but not pleasant at all. It bled a little bit, and for a while afterwards so it feels numb and like you have a cut there. Nothing major. (And I didn't cry!) Having said that, where I got it done, on my arm, it is meant to be one of the easiest places to get a tattoo, I don't think your arm is going to be that sore compared to other body parts. The nearer the bone the sorer a tattoo is meant to be. Pain is all relative anyway.

Why a cube?
Giselle asked me this in the comments on my last post, and I guess it has been a common question coming from a few of my friends too. There is no real significance in the design or shape for me. I had been thinking about getting a tattoo for years now, and I was saving up images I liked.  I came across the picture below on Pinterest a few months ago and really liked it. 
Cube Tattoo http://tattoos-ideas.net/cube-tattoo/ Arm Tattoos, Geometric Tattoos, Minimal Tattoos
So I had that picture on my phone for ages, and I just felt a certain appreciation for the simplicity of it. I searched 'cube symbolism' before I actually got the tattoo done, just in case there was some weird cult that used it as their emblem or something - there wasn't. But there are a few nice associations with the shape that encouraged me to go for the design, but weren't the reason behind it. Basically, my thought process was more like 'why NOT a cube?'

How is it healing?
Pretty well! I kept it covered in cling film for a couple of days after because I was going to Longitude so didn't want it to get dirty and I've been sporadically applying nappy rash cream (how glam). It seems to be almost perfect now, no problems or pain at all, but it's still a little bit raised.

How much did it cost?
EEEK. This is bad. 80 whole euro. I don't mind because it has healed well, I'm happy with how it turned out and I went to reputable place (Dublin Ink) so I suppose you get what you pay for, but it seems extortionate for how small it is!

Did you plan it far in advance? 
Yes and no. I had, as I said before, been thinking about getting a tattoo in general for a while, but it really was a spur of the moment thing. We went into Dublin Ink the day before and asked if they might have room for us to come in the next day, and they did! We went in on a Thursday (the 18th of July), had to wait about an hour or so for them to talk with us about what we wanted and for an artist to be free and then it was all done in about 20 minutes. I think if I had booked it any further in advance I may have chickened out!
How long did it take?
Mine is so so tiny and probably only took about 2 minutes. It's about the size of my thumb fingernail. Obviously bigger pieces will take longer, and that will affect the pain too. This one was quick and easy! 

What do your parents/friends think?
My parents don't know. I am 22 years old and paid for it out of my own money, so I don't need their permission but I don't think they'll be too happy. They're both conservative enough when it comes to stuff like this, so I'll let you know what they think when they find out. But it's been this long already and they haven't noticed, so they can hardly complain! It's not a massive face tattoo, I don't know why they'd be really angry about it.
A lot of my friends have tattoos themselves so it's not a big deal to them at all. I think some are a little confused as to why I got a cube, but I don't mind. Everyone will get used to it. No one has told me they hate it anyway which is good, I suppose!

Would you get another one/more?
Yes! I definitely do want more, I also did want more than one, and now I know how the pain is and how much I like this I'm even more positive that I will. I probably won't get any for a while, but I'll still be keeping my eyes peeled for more ideas and designs! 

Anyway, I hope I didn't bore any of you who are disinterested - I do highly recommend the experience! I think it's such a great mode of self-expression, and a permanent way to remember yourself at this moment in your life. I think they're beautiful and unique and make people look even better. I like tattoos because they're different and any kind of art is good in my books. I'd love to know what you all think! Let me know if you have any, and if your experience was different to mine. Also, if you don't have any, are you planning to get one in the future? 
If you could get a tattoo RIGHT NOW, what would you get? Tell me!

8 comments:

  1. I love your tattoo! it's so dainty and let people put their own meaning!
    Like you said "why not a cube?"
    I use to be one of those people who thought tattoos HAD to have a meaning
    but like why not just have a piece of art on you and let other people interpret and
    you basically just become the canvas of the art.. if you can't tell I really want a tattoo..
    I can't wait til I can

    Thanks for the post(:
    http://emicphany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining everything so well. I have been thinking to do it but for religious fact i am still thinking...
    Love the cube design, it's really unique!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really nice, I understand the appeal to the cube. It's simple, pure and 35 but still a simple line drawing. I get it, it's nice looking. So I compared mine to glass scratching me; I have two tattoos, one i got when I was 17 which is a star, I don't really like it. It's on my upper right, outside arm. The next is an anchor on my inner upper left arm which I love, and got after gradutating. A symbol of arriving at my next destination.

    Yours does sound quite expensive though, my anchor (2 inches long) cos me £15, and took sat 5 mins.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love it! So cool. I got my first tattoo a few months ago. Then within the space of 2 weeks I went and got another. I quote my tattoo artist, "after 3 you might as well just give in" :)

    Fee
    http://www.pingle-blog.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!! I have 2 birds and a quote on the inside of my left foot i got it when i was 16 with my mum and dad lol! so its 5 years old now and i'm getting another soon to honour my nan & grandad too!! xx

    LemonaidLies Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. €80? D: Eleanor!!!!!!! oooomg what that is unbelievable. My two massive sleeve pieces were €350 in total for both of them and took like 6 hours?!?!?! whaaat. hella cute tho. robbin bastards in dublin ink tho hey

    ReplyDelete

HEY thanks for commenting if you have any questions you can always tweet them to me @eleanorcos and I will definitely answer